Bug Crawl 2026

 

Baltimore Checkerspot Euphydras phaeton

Question Mark Polygonia interrogationis

Summer Azure Celastrina neglecta

Appalachian Brown Lethe appalachia

Mourning Cloak Nymphalis antiopa

Monarch Danaus plexippus

Black Swallowtail Papillo polyxenes

Common Wood Nymph Cercyonis pegala

Tawny Emperor Asterocampa clyton

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Papillo glaucus

Common Checkered skipper Burnsius communis

Red Spotted Purple Limentis arthemis puddling

Red Admiral Vanessa atalanta


Summer 2026 has been a pretty mediocre summer for insects in my experience.  The extreme heat, rain and poor air quality due to forest fires up north have added to the mix.  This time of year I love to get out in the heat and humidity to check out the butterflies and dragonflies as well as damselflies when I can.  I am continuing to do an ebird checklist daily, though I often refer to them as 'bugcrawls"  I participate in a few NABA butterfly counts per year, Pinery PP, Rondeau PP, Sydenham Nature reserve inventory and next weekend Point Pelee NP, first time there has been a count there since 2011!  My very first butterfly count was with Bob Bowles at the Carden Alvar in 2008, to me that was the baseline for all of the odonates and lepidoptera that I have seen throughout my life.  I have yet to see another Variable Dancer, but I keep trying!  Nothing is as good as the Alvar, though Lambton County has some interesting species.  I participated with Ontario Nature on Pelee Island's butterfly count where we camped!  It was fun but very very buggy, full bug gear was required.  I have included here photos that I have taken this summer 2026.  I submit everything on inaturalist, my handle is Evit if you want to check it out.

Dragonflies are brilliant creatures of the air and the water.  Their nymph stage live quietly under the lily pads of ponds, small lakes and slow streams, waiting at times 7 years to metamorphize into the iridescent creatures that grace our skies. They are amazing hunters and with their large eyes and quick movements, they either hunt aerially, foraging from the air, or perch on branches or other vegetation to wait for their prey, smaller insects and mosquitoes.  

This year I have observed the usual suspects, Common Whitetail,, Twelve spotted skimmer, Widow skimmer, Ruby and White faced Meadowhawks, Dot tailed whiteface.  This past week I have observed my favourite dragonfly so far, the Royal River Cruiser.  I spotted one cruising back and forth along a river in a park in Petrolia that I frequent.  It was amazing to watch and though it was going close back and forth I was only able to take an inflight shot.  These dragonflies do perch, but I have yet to see that.  Yesterday I went again and I noticed that their are 2 going back and forth, maybe a mated pair?  Next time I will bring a chair and set down and try and get some more decent shots.  This species is a very large dragonfly( the largest Cruiser species in North America) with bright green eyes and a dark brown body with 1  yellow thoracic side stripe.  They range in size from 3 to 3.6 inches with long wings, stunning sight to see, indeed a 'face melter'

Another new odonate for me was when I did the Rondeau PP butterfly count, I worked the Marsh trail (7 km in, 7 out) and observed my first Vesper Bluet.  Very delicate and gorgeous medium sized damselfly with bright yellow face, eyes, thorax and legs with bright blue ( green in females)spot on his abdomen, stunning little jewel.  Something else interesting about this species is that it is crepuscular, mostly active at dusk and dawn rather than in the middle of the day like most odonates. 

This year the butterflies have been few and far between .  On our butterfly counts we have had the species, but only one or two, as opposed to large numbers.  During the Rondeau count there were a great deal of Appalachian Browns and Azures, but that is really the only time I've seen numbers.  

As usual there were consistent numbers of Tawny Emperor at the Sydenham River, decent numbers of Wild Indigo Duskwing at Blackwell Trails, Monarchs are increasing as of late and I have seen many Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.  For me personally I have not seen many Skippers.  The season is not over by far and there are still natural areas and waterways to explore!


Eastern Amberwing Perithemis tenera

White faced Meadowhawk Sympetrum obtruism


Common Whitetail Plathemis lydia

Royal River Cruiser Macromia taeniolata


Blue Dasher Pachydiplax longipennis

Halloween Pennant Celithemis eponina


Familiar Bluet Enallagma civile in wheel position

Ebony Jewelwing Calopteryx maculata

Vesper Bluet Enallagma vesperus

Twelve spotted skimmer Libelllula pulchella
Dot tailed white face Leucorrhinia intactus

Orange bluet Enallagma signatum

Eastern Pondhawk Erythemis simplicicollis



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Solstice 2025 Trip to Lambton Shores

October Big Day 2025: Lambton County

OFO Oct. 4, 2025 trip to Rondeau, Eireau, Keith McLean Conservation lands and Blenheim Sewage Lagoons